I am the latest to join the Instant Pot craze. I have used it twice, the first time was in its 'Slow Cooker' feature and the second was to make a Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Kale Soup (recipe posted below). Honestly, I was [and still am] intimidated by all of the functions of this pressure cooker, because honestly I've never cooked with a pressure cooker before. Despite all of the buttons and not being 100% sure of what they all do and how they all work, I made dinner in less than 20 minutes.
Using The Instant Pot® Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Easy Recipes for Fast & Healthy Meals I made an a soup that would have normally taken all day to cook in 20 mins. And it was AMAZING! It will be a recipe we make again, everyone loved it. Hope you enjoy it too.
Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Kale Soup (pg 80)
Prep: 20 min | Pressure: 8 min | Total: 45 min
Pressure Level: High | Release: Natural
Serves: 6 to 8
2 TBSP Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 (10oz) fully cooked kielbasa, linguiça, or Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound Yukon Gold or white potatoes (not russets), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
6 cups chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
1 small bunch Kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
1. Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Sauté.
2. Once hot, add the oil followed by sausage. Cook, stirring, for about 7 minutes, until browned. Removed and place on paper towels to drain.
3. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
4. Add the sweet potatoes, potatoes, and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Secure the lid.
5. Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
6. Once cooking is complete, select Cancel and use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining steam.
7. Use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash about half of the potatoes, leaving some chunks.
8. Select Sauté and add the kale. Cook for 5 minutes more until the kale is wilted. Add the sausage and serve.
Per Serving Calories: 450; Total Carbs: 64g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Trans Fat: 0g; Fiber 9g; Protein 16g; Sodium: 1396mg